In a window of sunshine amid clouds and rain last weekend we opened the beehives. Beresford’s hive was full of brood, with only a bit of honey left. Luckily we were prepared for this as it was exactly what our beekeeping friend had thought might happen, so we gave the hive sugar water and pollen substitute. This seemed to go down well.
Although it has been a sunny week and things are finally drying out a bit, we refilled the syrup and pollen substitute today, just to be sure.
Eleanor’s hive is still barely alive, but there is a frame of brood with a little bit of honey, and no sign of varroa now. Here are some pics of Beresford’s hive, showing all the stages of brood, from egg to capped. We didn’t see Beresford herself this time.